Thursday, August 20, 2009

Quilting Night in Canada

Quilty friend Gail and I got together last night for some quilting. It was just the three of us - me, Gail, and THE CAT!


I finished up the second step of the Bonnie Hunter Christmas Lights mytery. We put the blocks up on the design wall to see if we could reckon how the final assembly would look. Here's what we came up with; I wonder if we got it even close??



Gibson was eager to be helpful to both of us. Here, he's holding the fabric steady for Gail, while she cuts out the pieces for a baby quilt. Gail very nearly saved me the cost of neutering Gibson, he was just so enthusiastic about helping her!


Next, I worked on my Sunbonnet Sue blocks.



This is as far as I had gotten last night - - but it's much closer to completion this morning.

I stumbled upon an interesting find at the Goodwill yesterday. There has recently been a lengthy discussion about quilting fiction on the Stashbuster group. (I've assembled quite a reading list, thanks to that discussion!) This, however was not one of the books mentioned:

The author of this book is a member of the London Friendship Quilters Guild --I was a member in'07-'08--and I was aware that Barb Attard was a writer, but I had no idea that she had written quilting fiction! I was surprised and pleased to find a copy of "Flying Geese" on the shelf at Goodwill for 99¢.



11 comments:

  1. Yikes! That cat is brave! I can't wait to see the final layout, you may be on to something. I love the Sun Bonnet Sues

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least if we dont' like waht quiltmaker has coming up for the layout - I can revisit your site and use your layout. I like it - you are very creative to figure using them in that arrangement! ;)

    Love from Texas! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I forgot to say that if you do use this layout no matter what the results of part 3 - you MUST sned in a photo to quiltmaker for their show-n-tell section!!! ;) :) I'm sure readers would love to see it!

    Happy Weekend! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Christmas lights blocks are gorgeous! Yours is the first blog I have seen to propose a possible layout and it is beautiful! Makes me wish I would have played along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy quilting fiction so I'll be on the lookout for this book. Just checked the library catalog and they don't have it. Believe it or not, I couldn't find it in the WorldCat either! I'll have to haunt the used bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's also written another book; I think the title is Irish Chain? I haven't got my books handy, but I'll try to find it :-). I found mine in an antique shop in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look the 30's fabrics!!

    That Sunbonnet Sue Pattern was my very first quilt I made...the quilt, which is looking a little worn is still in use today...15 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet you are right! It is definitely on point because of all the setting triangles she had us cut.

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad I had read on the quiltvillechat group that the photo was posted on Qmaker's site... and then thought oh no, who was it that had her own unique setting??? thankfully I asked the group and someone pointed me back to your blog. ;)

    Do you mind if I use your setting style for my Christmas Lights?? ;) Love from Texas! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came up with a layout for Christmas Lights very similar to yours last August when I was fiddling around in EQ trying to guess the design. I like mine a lot more than the "official" one, and I like yours very much too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your alternate layout, in fact I like your entire blog. I may have to become a follower!

    ReplyDelete