Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I always feel STUCK when it comes to titles...

Inspired by the Blue Cricket Design blog, I've been using a more critical eye when out thrifting and yard sale-ing.  So, here's a project I created on the weekend.

Whatcha making mamma?

Gibson (aka: Gibby-doo) has a fondness for baskets.  I kept my eyes peeled for something large enough and relatively low to make him a place to nap on the deck.

The basket was 50 cents, and the spray paint was one of a bag of five cans that I bought at a church rummage sale for $1.50. Two coats of paint, some scraps of fabric from my stash, and six layers quilt batting cut-offs, and Gibby now has a lovely wicker day bed.


Except...he won't have anything to do with it.  Now this is the same cat that was sleeping in the basket BEFORE I painted it!!!  I'm going to leave it outside for a few more days, because I'm of a mind that it's the paint smell that disagrees with his tender sensibilities.

NEXT!!!! Another 50 cent yard sale find - this time a wooden box with lid, and another can of spray paint from the church rummage sale.  I painted it black, because it kind of reminded me of my Singer Featherweight case.  It's now solid black, but needs something decorative - - when the idea solidifies, I'll share.




Itty Bitty goes to the prom:
A special shopping trip to find black and grey Converse runners to match the young lady's dress was required.  Itty Bitty says he's wearing a kilt next year.  Remember when prom was sophisticated and romantic?  Yeah....I hear someone drove the family tractor to the event.  Truth be told - - I'm so glad that kids (well, kids around these parts anyway) are having a sense of humour about prom, and deconstructing the idea that one night is of such incredible value and importance.  That makes so much more sense to me.

4 comments:

  1. I love Gibby's day bed. You better tell him he should be grateful - there are kitties sleeping on hard concrete patios and splintered decks all around the world who would be grateful for a snooze in his custom-made bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once it's fully aired, add some catnip to his "bed".... he's bound to roll around it and LOVE it!

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely bed you made for your ungrateful cat! I love reading your blog..you have a great sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh... I also meant to mention that cats LOVE high spots: a couch, bed, top of dresser, etc, etc. It's their jungle cat genes that make them do this, I believe. *grin*

    If basket's too low, perhaps kitty doesn't feel secure enough or high enough?

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete