Sunday, September 19, 2010

Gearing up for the week ahead

Are you starting to wonder if I'm ever going to blog about quilting again?  Well, maybe.  I am still working on machine quilting the School of Rock quilt.  It's probably 2/3 done.

Mostly, I've been busy with school/practicum stuff.  I really like my placement at the law clinic.  It's located very close to Covent Garden Market, and I finally got a chance to stop in there on Friday.


It was a nice and mild day, so I decided to grab some lunch and sit outside.  Am I ever glad I discovered The Piping Kettle Soup Company!

Affectionately known by many as the Soup Newfie, the healthy and hip alternative to fast food is the Piping Kettle Soup Co.  Owned and operated by Jim Phillips and John Grouchy (he'd be the Newfie).  It opened in the market in June 2007 and since then the business has grown in volume and patrons.  Both Pillips and Grouchy have roots in the hospitality business with Phillips experience being in the kichen and Grouchy's in the front of house, making him the man with the ladle.  Admittedly inspired by the Seinfeld Soup Nazi episode, the gents hummed and hawed about their venture only until they sat potential competition and that was the only motivation they needed.  They serve up 16 fresh soups, stews, breads, a variety of sandwiches, salads, and fresh vegetables all of which make the Piping Kettle a lunchtime adventure.

Okay, I don't know why they chose a copy writer who clearly needed a nap, but you get the gist...  I enjoyed a medium turkey chili, and it was FANTASTIC!  I was tickled to discover they have a 'frequent buyer card', and I have a feeling I'll soon be qualifying for a free 1/2 litre of soup to go!

I'm really excited about my placement. Pressed to find a negative, I'd have to say that one of the lawyers might be under the misapprehension that I don't have ENOUGH to do.  She keeps dropping literature and articles and newsletters off on my desk for me to read.  I cleaned out my totebag this weekend, and I can't lie....I threw them all in the recycle box.  I simply don't have time to read them all. 



3 comments:

  1. We have some readers in my office who never tire of sending around more material. They obviously don't have as much to do as I do! I initial and pass on without even cracking them open and without feeling bad - I just don't have the time! Very glad to hear that you are enjoying your placement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would do the same thing!

    It's so awesome that you're enjoying your practicum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Nancy! Have you tried the Carribean food at the back of the building by the Italian bakery? If you go in the front doors of the market (as in the photo) then you go all the way to the end and turn right towards the bakery, and then turn right again and there she is! HER FOOD IS AMAZING! The curried chicken is divine! as well as her roti!

    ReplyDelete