Monday, September 17, 2012

Can't wait! Call the Midwife



I can't wait to see the new (on this side of the pond) series "Call the Midwife" which starts in 2 weeks.  Love me a period drama!  And since the 3rd season of "Downton Abbey" doesn't start until January...this will suit me just fine!

It's based on the memoirs of a real midwife Jennifer Worth.  The plot follows newly-qualified midwife Jenny Lee and the work of midwives and the nuns of Nonnatus House, a nursing convent, coping with the medical problems in a deprived area of East London in the 1950s.  Of course I want to read the book first (actually, it's a trilogy). I checked with the public library first, but in the end I had to order the book from a local independent book store.  I should have it by the end of the week!



3 comments:

  1. Ohhh I hope this show comes to Canada!! In the meantime I will have to keep my eye open for the book!! Thanks for the heads up!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love it. I was glued to the tv when it was on here in the UK. Fabulous show and Chummy is brilliant. New series of Downton started on Sunday evening and all I shall say is have the tissues ready. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete