Monday, December 31, 2012

SMART UFO quilting goals for 2013

Something social workers pick up early in their careers is the notion of making SMART goals.  To make SMART Quilting goals, there are a few things that I will bear in mind.

Specific:1 should provide enough detail so that there is no indecision as to what exactly you should be doing when the time comes to do it. 

Measurable: the goal should be such that when you are through you have some tangible evidence of completion.

Attainable: this is about 'how' - do you have the skills, knowledge, financial or material resources, the time?

Realistic: don't plan to do things if you are unlikely to follow through. Better to plan only a few things and be successful rather than many things and be unsuccessful. Success breeds success! Start small, with what you can do, experience the joys of meeting your goal

Time-bound: Say when you plan to work at your goal, and break into smaller, more manageable chunks.


So here are my goals for January:


1. catch up, and maintain completion (within one week of posting) of Grandmother's Choice BOWs for a total of 3 blocks from December, and 4 from January. I have lots of fabric for this project, and I usually do the block first thing Saturday morning before Hubby gets out of bed.



2. Dear Jane -  I will complete 2 blocks (each month).  Again, I have plenty of fabric for this project, and I have found all my supplies: pattern, software, rulers.





3. School of Rock quilt - starting off the year slow - this quilt is sooooooooo close to finished.  I will complete the quilting on my domestic machine, prepare and apply binding, and complete.





4. Bookmarks - I will complete all of these, and donate them to Action Read before the end of the month. These are such simple finishes, I will work on one or two during my lunch hours.



5. Mug Mats - hand stitch binding down to finish.  I will give them to co-workers. I will work on while watching TV.



6. I will go to the public library and borrow books featuring quilt borders, and make a decision about how to finish Black & White, Tulip Appliqué, and Virginia Bound, sketching out a few ideas. I will also borrow Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, and make a decision about block setting.




7.  I will organize my sewing notions, sorting by type, gifting anything that I won't use, throwing out broken items, and choose an appropriate storage system. (maybe even ask my Hubby for a new sewing box for my birthday on the 22nd of January). 

13 comments:

  1. sounds like a good start on your new year, what are you going to do the rest of the week- lol

    whatever you do, I wish you success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all those tips. Good luck with reaching your goals. I will be cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder @ SMART goals. Yours certainly sound reasonable, especially since you have designated specific plans as far as pockets of time in which to complete them. You have some beautiful projects! Great good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the way you have established a realistic goal for each of the UFO's. This is what I need to do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent suggestions. Good luck with your 2013 goals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember SMART from my working days... so true and thanks for the reminder! Good luck in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have a 52 ufo quilt block pick up on fridays for 2013!! check it out this friday and feel free to comment on what you'd like to see. It is going to be a fun year! that's for sure.
    http://patchworkposse.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there - I poked around on your blog a bit after the challenge was posted last week. I smiled when I saw your post because - I'm a Social Worker too! I don't often find fellow SW-quilters (lots of knitters though). Can't wait to see what you get done this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What kind of social work do you do? I work at a community legal clinic - - which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!

      Delete
  10. Love your specific plan, I will need to have a look at mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Nancy. Thanks for joining up with my Linky party. Your goals really are SMART! I haven't seen that acronym since I was training long term unemployed people to re-enter the workforce -- a job I was made redundant from in 2003!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So #3 is your Lovely Finish for January? Seems reasonable. Your goals sound like the directions for making teaching objectives. =)

    ReplyDelete